PREP 10 minutes
COOK 6 minutes
See Also: Mexican Brunch Burritos Recipe
Ingredients:✔ 2 rashers (slices) smoked back bacon
✔ 1 tsp white wine vinegar
✔ 2 medium eggs
✔ 1 ripe avocado
✔ 8 baby plum tomatoes, halved
✔ 4 spring onions (scallions), thinly sliced
✔ 100g/4oz (4 cups) rocket (arugula), baby spinach or mixed salad leaves
✔ 3 tbsp vinaigrette or balsamic dressing
✔ salt and freshly ground black pepper
✔ toasted ciabatta or sourdough, to serve
See Also: Vietnamese Fried Chicken Thighs with Garlic-Chile Glaze Recipe
Directions:1. Heat a non-stick frying pan (skillet) and dry-fry the bacon for 2–3 minutes until crisp and golden brown. Remove and drain on kitchen paper (paper towels).
2. Heat some water in a pan to simmering point. Add the vinegar and then gently break in the eggs. Cook very gently for about 3 minutes until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny.
3. While the eggs are cooking, halve, stone (pit) and peel the avocado. Slice the flesh thinly and mix with the tomatoes, spring onions and salad leaves in a bowl, then toss lightly in the dressing of your choice. Divide between 2 serving plates.
4. Carefully remove the poached eggs from the pan with a slotted spoon and place one on top of each salad. Season lightly with salt and pepper and crumble the crispy bacon over the top. Serve at once while the eggs are warm, with toasted bread.
OR YOU CAN TRY THIS…
– Dry-fry thin slices of Parma ham and add to the salad instead of bacon.
– Vegetarians can omit the bacon and add some diced feta cheese or even vegetarian bacon-style rashers, such as Quorn.
– Experiment with different flavours: try adding chopped herbs, diced red onion, grilled red and yellow (bell) pepper strips or some crisp croûtons.