PREP 5 minutes
COOK 1 hour
See Also: Mexican Brunch Burritos Recipe
Ingredients:✔ 3 tomatoes
✔ 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
✔ olive oil, for drizzling
✔ 1 ripe avocado
✔ juice of ½ lemon (1 tbsp)
✔ 2 thick slices sourdough or multi-seed bread
✔ sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
✔ few chives, snipped, to serve
See Also: Egg and Bacon Breakfast Salad Recipe
Directions:1. Preheat the oven to 170°C, 325°F, gas mark 3.
2. Cut the tomatoes in half and place them, cut side up, on a baking tray. Sprinkle with balsamic vinegar and drizzle with olive oil. Grind a little sea salt and black pepper over the top and bake in the oven for 1 hour.
3. Cut the avocado in half, remove the stone (pit) and scoop out the flesh. Using a fork, mash it roughly with the lemon juice and some salt.
4. Toast the bread and spread with the mashed avocado. Arrange the roasted tomatoes on top and sprinkle with the chives.
OR YOU CAN TRY THIS…
– If you like garlic, add some crushed cloves to the tomatoes before roasting, or even mash a raw clove with the avocado.
– Lime juice works well if you don’t have a spare lemon.
– Instead of topping the avocado toasties with tomatoes, try grilled or sweet pepperdew peppers, a spoonful of hot salsa or a drizzle of sweet chilli sauce. Thin-sliced smoked salmon or Parma ham are great, too, as is diced chorizo.
– Spread the toast with some chilli jam or spicy chutney before adding the avocado.
– Drizzle lightly with Tabasco, harissa or chilli oil.