See Also: Sweet Tea Oven-Fried Chicken Sliders with Jalapeno Cheddar Corn Slaw & Crispy Onions Recipe
Ingredients:✔ 8 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs or drumsticks (about 3 1/2 lb.)
✔ 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
✔ Peanut or vegetable oil (for frying)
✔ 3/4 cup rice flour
✔ 1 large shallot, finely chopped
✔ 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
✔ 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled ginger
✔ 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
✔ 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
✔ 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
✔ 3 tablespoons fish sauce (such as nam pla or nuoc nam)
✔ 3 tablespoons hot chili paste (sambal oelek)
✔ 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice plus lime wedges for serving
See Also: Oven Fried Chicken on a Stick Recipe
Directions:1. Combine chicken and soy sauce in a large bowl. Cover and chill at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
2. Fit a large cast-iron skillet or other heavy straight-sided skillet (not nonstick) with deep-fry thermometer; pour in oil to measure one inch and heat over medium-high heat until thermometer registers 350 degrees F.
3. Place flour in a large shallow bowl. Dredge chicken in flour, shaking off excess. Working in 2 batches, fry chicken, turning often with tongs and adjusting heat to maintain temperature between 325– 350 degrees C, until skin is deep golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of chicken registers 165 degrees F, 10–12 minutes.
4. Transfer chicken to a wire rack set inside a baking sheet. Let cool at least 10 minutes before serving; set aside 3 Tbsp. frying oil.
5. Meanwhile, heat reserved frying oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallot, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant and softened, about 3 minutes.
6. Add brown sugar, salt, pepper and 2 Tbsp. water and cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves and sauce is foamy and glossy, about 3 minutes. Add fish sauce and cook until glaze is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in hot chili paste and lime juice. Brush chicken liberally with glaze.
7. Serve chicken with lime wedges and any remaining glaze.