See Also: Karaage Japanese Fried Chicken Recipe
Ingredients:✔ 1/2 cup buttermilk (low-fat or non-fat is fine)
✔ A 5-ounce bottle habanero hot sauce
✔ 3 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken drumsticks
✔ Vegetable oil, for frying
✔ 2 cups all-purpose flour
✔ 2 teaspoons table salt
✔ 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
✔ 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
See Also: Oven-Fried Southern Chicken with Sweet Honey Bourbon Sauce Recipe
DIrections:1. Whisk together the buttermilk and hot sauce in a large bowl or a baking dish. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours, turning the pieces occasionally.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place a wire rack in a roasting pan or on a rimmed baking sheet.
3. Pour the oil in a large, deep skillet until it reaches a depth of 1 inch. Heat the oil to 325 degrees F.
4. Combine the flour, salt, pepper, and onion powder in a shallow bowl.
5. Remove the chicken from the buttermilk mixture, allowing any excess liquid to drip off and discarding the mixture. Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess.
6. Fry the drumsticks in the oil in batches, turning occasionally, until lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the fried chicken to the wire rack. Bake the chicken until cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes (or, if your drumsticks are large, a few minutes longer)