See Also: Buttermilk Almond Crusted Chicken Fingers Recipe
Ingredients:✔ 10 – 12 oz chicken wings (party wings), middle section only
✔ Pinch of salt
✔ 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
✔ 1 tablespoon potato starch
✔ Oil, for deep-frying
✔ White sesame seeds
For the Glaze:
✔ 1 tablespoon Japanese soy sauce, tamari preferred
✔ 1 tablespoon Mizkan (Bonito Flavor) Soup Base
✔ 3 tablespoons Mizkan Honteri Mirin
✔ 2 teaspoons sugar
✔ 1 tablespoon sake
✔ 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
See Also: Chicken Katsu (Fried Chicken Cutlet) Recipe
Directions:1. Rinse the chicken wings thoroughly and pat very dry with paper towels. Score the bottom part of the wings with two diagonal slits. Season with salt and white pepper, and lay the chicken wings on a flat surface to air dry for 30 minutes.
2. Heat up a deep-fryer to 300 degrees F. Lightly coat and dust the surface of chicken wings with the potato starch. The coating should be very thin.
3. When the deep-fryer is ready, fry the chicken wings for 8 minutes or until they are light brown.
4. Remove the wings and turn up the heat on the deep-fryer to 375°F. Add the wings and deep fry for another 2 minutes or until very crispy. Remove and place on a paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
5. Heat up all the ingredients in the Glaze in a small saucepan on low heat. Simmer until the glaze slightly thicken. Add the wings into the saucepan and toss around to make sure that each wing is lightly coated with the Glaze. Shake off the extra Glaze off each wings and transfer the wings to a bowl.
6. Sprinkle some white pepper powder (to taste) on top of the tebasaki and toss around a few times. Top with sesame seeds and serve immediately.